1.20.2008

Donovan Sets Record in U.S. Win

For the second consecutive year, the U.S. Men's National Team started the year off with a win over a Scandinavian counterpart, dismantling a star-less Sweden side 2-0 at the Home Depot Center on Saturday night.Eddie Robinson scored the game-winning goal in his first-ever international appearance, chipping a loose ball in the box into the top corner of the net less than 15 minutes into the match. Shortly into the second half, Josmer Altidore earned a penalty kick after being tripped up in the box, setting the stage for Landon Donovan's historic goal in the 48th minute.

"For us it's a good way to start the year," said head coach Bob Bradley. "This camp is always a challenge because guys have been off for a while, but we felt throughout the camp that things we worked on throughout last year were coming back, especially working as a team. Our fitness levels came along quickly, and tonight we played against a team who is always a good match for us. The game had tempo. It was physically challenging. I think to come out of it with a good result was important."

For Donovan, it was his 35th career goal for his country in 97 appearances, moving him past Eric Wynalda to the head of the all-time list.

"I wouldn't classify it as important, but it's something I'm very proud of," said Donovan of the record. "More so than scoring goals, being a part of this team for a long time and contributing is something I'm proud of. That being said, I can still be better."

Robinson's 15th minute tally marked the 44th time in U.S history that a player scored a goal in his first career cap.

"I told my wife yesterday when I found out I was going to start that if this is the only game that I play I'm going to make sure I give it my all and come away happy that I got the chance to do this, because not many people do," said Robinson. "It was a wonderful experience. It was awesome."

Up next for the U.S. is a clash against regional rivals Mexico, slated for February 6th at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

No comments: