2.07.2008

Jozy Subject of Secret Transfer Attempt

Lost in all the transfer talk surrounding Brad Guzan and Eddie Johnson, reports are now surfacing that New York Red Bulls and USMNT star Jozy Altidore was also very close to an overseas move, nearly joining Reading of the English Premier League just before the close of the winter transfer window. The story was kept so quiet that even MLS insiders Ives Galarcep and Steven Goff were unaware of what was transpiring.Reading, already the home to two Americans (Bobby Convey and Marcus Hahnemann), had been scouting young Jozy for the past two years and were prepared to bring the youngster on board, as the club is in the midst of a relegation fight. The deal hinged on Reading's ability to sell off one of their other players and, when they failed to find a buyer, the transfer for Altidore fell apart.

"I've heard a lot about the club and it was an up and coming club that was interested in me," said Altidore. "It looked like it was something that was going to be a good idea for me but the Red Bulls are where I'm going to be.

"This is where my home is going to be right now," Altidore said. "I'm committed to the team and I'm not even worried about what happened."

Altidore's future has been the subject of constant speculation for New York Red Bulls and MLS fans, and his emergence on the national stage has only fueled those rumors. European clubs from Spain to England have come calling for the 18-year-old, with Real Madrid making it clear that they would welcome Altidore with open arms.

As with Guzan, MLS will not be able to hold on to Altidore for much longer if he does not want to stay. Jozy made $108,333 in guaranteed compensation last season, but stands to make much, much more by moving to just about ANY other league in the world. For now, he remains with the Red Bulls and is still in good spirits.

"I'm still happy to be with New York because I've watched this team since I was growing up. This is the team I wanted to play for in the beginning and the team I'm playing for now and I wouldn't have it any other way."

No comments: